Thursday, 6 January 2011

Matte is Murder

I had been wanting to try a matte black nail varnish for a while so I had a look around but nothing really grabbed me, that is, until I found ManGlaze.  I love anything slightly oddball and a bit different so when I saw the bottle I knew this was the one for me, especially with a name like 'Matte is Murder'.  The nail varnish formula goes on easy, it is perhaps slightly on the gloopy side, but nothing to cause any problems and two coats is enough to give a thick even coverage.  Its strange that it goes on glossy but dries to matte!  I will say that you have to be quite careful of your brushstrokes as a matte texture doesn't hide them like normal glossy nail varnishes do, so try to blend as you go.  




I love the fact that the label on the bottle is a piece of art.  Though it is an American brand the artwork is designed by UK artist Jason Atomic.  The Matte is Murder bottle features 'either his talented yet severed hand or his muse, Suicide Girl MANKO!'  Unfortunately they pick which one you get, I would have preferred the other bottle but this one is still pretty amazing.



If you decide that you actually don't want a matte texture, just paint over one coat of clear nail varnish and viola!  This comes out exactly the colour you see in the bottle, glossy black with sparkly silver undertones.  I have worn my nails like this a couple of times but usually I just leave it matte as otherwise whats the point in buying it!  For those of you who liked the WAH nails post that I did (here) this look is actually created with matte nail varnish.  The leopard print that you see is just painted on with clear nail varnish.


 You can get ManGlaze from their site (here).  They currently have an offer on both Matte is Murder and Fuggen Ugly (which I also purchased, its a gunmetal grey colour), both are half price.  Though they are an American company they do ship to the UK and it was only about $6, well worth it in my opinion.  They come well packaged so I doubt much chance of them smashing on the way.  This genuinely is my favourite nail varnish, probably because it is so different!

What do you think of matte v glossy nail varnish? Has anyone else tried any matte nail varnishes and are they any good? 


19 comments:

Mouldy Fruit said...

WOW I love that! It reminds me of the OPI Suede collection! Gorgeous xx

Beauty Addict said...

I like matte polishes too, but I don't wear them very often. I like to change. I really like your nail art! The leopard print looks awesome!

Confessions of a Beautyholic

jazzyphizz said...

I just painted my nails with OPI's Russian Navy matte polish. It's not too bad. It's perfect as a base for polkadots.
http://followinmyfabulousness.blogspot.com

HannahsBlogger said...

Wow I love the way that looks! xo

Mara said...

FUCKEN BRILLANT!I love the way you used the clear top coat to add shine and to create the leopard print. Who would have thought...... :) I want this polish like NOW.....

Emily said...

Thanks everyone for all your comments!

@Mouldy Fruit and Jazzyphizz, I didn't realise OPI did matte polishes! I'll have to give them a try. I just googled the suede collection and will definitely try out some of the colours!

@Mara, I know its amazing how clear polish can create such a striking look! But, the picture is actually from WAH's website, I didn't create the nail art. Check my post about WAH to see the more! xo

kirstyb said...

oooh i must gove this a go x

Andee Layne said...

love that matte color!

Imo said...

I want it I want it I want it! thanks so much for posting the site and I heart your WAH mani...so hot =D x

Miss*Kimmy said...

I love hat bottle! It looks so nice, like you said, art. And the matte black is cool, I wanna try it!

georgina said...

Hi

I love your blog and wondered if you could do an eyebrow tutorial, yours are fab xxx

georgina said...

Picked up my friends copy of AVON this morning and they now do MATTE nail colours- Lovely jubley...

Which colour do I choose!?
xxx

Emily said...

@Georgina I have had a few requests to do an eyebrow tutorial so its definitely in the pipeline. Need to get a few work deadlines out the way then I shall post one up! xo

Elyse said...

L.O.V.E. it! I have been blog stalking for a while, but I am coming out of the woodworks to say... I have a blog award for you!
http://mamalovesmakeup.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-first-blog-award.html

DesignerSpray said...

I've just recently got into matte nail varnish. After months and months of blog posts I finally caved in. I find that I'm always late with things. Haha. xx

Rai said...

Love matte! New follower btw. :)

Ivânia Santos (Diamond) said...

wooow

I loveeeeeee your nails <33
nice blog!

xoxo,
Ivãnia Diamond*

Chloe Mia said...

I really like this!

Sarahlouise1986 said...

i love the last picture! i recently got some matte varnish from Avon (i got the red,purple and black ones....and there gorg!!!!) ...but now i need this varnish too!i love your blog <3

/Hugs!

http://spellbindingnails.blogspot.com/